Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Compost smell control

Steps towards smell control is in place. Seems to be working better but can definitely improve. 

The older batch has been given daily supplements of shredded newspaper in addition to stirring. On top of the pile, I've also placed a plastic container with perforated top cover half filled with baking soda. I intend to use the baking soda on my clean up day for scrubbing the toilet. 

This older batch still smells considerably. But it does seem to be reducing. Either that or my nose is acclimatizing. And the moisture is being absorbed by the paper. Perhaps I'm getting my ratio better. Mind you, because neither Hubbie nor I quite like the smells of the compost leacheate, I've opted for no holes at bottom of tub. Hence a very wet compost bin. This makes it more difficult to manage. But it also means we only have to deal with the smells when I stir. Not all day all night.

The newer batch is also given shredded newspaper. One whole sheet per little sieve container full of kitchen waste. And of course, the stirring. 

*fingers-crossed*

1 comment:

  1. Am thinking of experimenting with wood shavings. Since wood shavings absorb moisture and smell as kitty litter. We shouldn't have to buy it -- we'll just end up paying for fuel miles travelled, packaging and shelf space. If I find some fallen acacia mangium branches, I'll shave it and add chips of it to my compost and see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete