Monday, May 18, 2009

Smelly compost

Bleh... 

It's hard to do composting in an apartment. 

I've got a tub of 'garbage enzyme' compost in my drying area. That stank. I also don't like that it creates methane and ground level ozone. So, I won't be doing that anymore. 

Now back to old composting in a tub. This time without any drain holes (last time I did that, it stank all day all night, not only when I stirred it). But now with a whole lot more effort. Pouring out excess liquid every day. Stirring at least once a day if not twice. Still stinko. Sigh... Well, the first tub anyway. The second tub hasn't got a chance to start yet. 

Still experimenting... 

On the upside, our trips to the garbage bin has reduced to an average of only 1 a week. And only one relatively small bag - smaller than your normal plastic bag obtained from a super market. The medium sized one. Not one of those super large ones. This keeping in mind, we're a SOHO. And I usually cook twice a day. 

Towards ZERO waste and beyond!

No comments:

Post a Comment