Monday, May 18, 2009

Ant control

Just wanted to make a note of something I did over the past couple of weeks during 'ant season' in my apartment. We have this 'season' a few times a year. I really need to scientifically record this. But anyway. 

Now normally I don't care if they're outside and they don't bite me or my loved ones. But when they come in to my home, have illegal gatherings, fumigate my drinks with formic acid, and *egads!* bite, then I gotta do something. 

Long before, I had resorted to all kinds of commercial pest control. Yep, I've done that. Not ashamed to admit it. I just look forward towards healthier alternatives, for the sake of the planet and my loved ones.

Okay, enough history.

I decided I wanted to try using almost nothing this time. Last season, and the few before, I used Diatomaceous Earth. It was non-toxic and effective. No problems with that. 

This time, all I did was just sweep the floor first thing morning. And last thing at night. And when they got really scary - basically having illegal gatherings under stools or cupboard crevices, I just sprayed them with some soap water (a drop of LOC in a spray bottle full of just plain tap water).

Seems to work. 

The sweeping seems to disorient them. 

The soap water drowns them. If you were awake in Science classes during school, you'd remember that insects breathe with holes all over their body. And when in water, the water particles can't enter coz it's too big or something like that (I must have started to doze off around there). That's why they float and stay alive. Roaches don't get flushed down no matter how many times you try because of this same reason. Anyway, the soap water breaks the water tension and sort of just drowns them with almost a drop. Like I said, works  on ants and roaches. Tested.

No comments:

Post a Comment