Monday, May 25, 2009

Product Review: Earth Choice Laundry Liquid

Price : RM12.50 per liter (at 1/3 cup - 80ml per 'heavy' load, it works out to RM1.25 per topload)
Claims : Post-consumer recycled PET packaging, No animal testing or ingredients, Low chemical formula, Australian owned and made, Phosphate free, Biodegradable, "Quality Products That Don't Cost the Earth"
Ingredients : Water, Alkyl polyglycosides, Potassium oleate, Sodium coco fatty alcohol sulfate, Sodium carbonate, Sodium citrate, Fragrance, Hydroxymethyl ureide derivatives, CI 61585

My thoughts: 
Price & packaging

Okay, at RM12.50 per bottle of 1 liter, I thought it was on the ok priced side when I compared it to an equivalent that I would buy. It's nice to know the packaging's made from recycled materials. However, I find the
 sticker's unnecessary. Text is clear and easy to read and understand. The ingredients also clearly listed. Gives fairly clear instructions on how much to use. Cap could've been made more 'measure' friendly. I had to use a baking cup to measure 1/3 cup. But then again, I think the next time, I could just follow my MiL's advise, 2 glug-glugs is fine. 

I'll need to check on the ingredients. I've not had much reading on some of them and will make a more informed review based on that in the future. 

Washing
My first load with this was a white load. I didn't add anything to the wash except the recommended dose. I specifically took a photo of my 2.5 yr old daughter's shirt after a long day out and about with stains from ice lollies, soup, little bits of grease from playground floors, and just general stains. Also noted some blood on one of my articles of clothing. I put it into my top loading machine, set it to soak 1 hour, and normal wash. 

After years of using fragrance free/minimal products in my laundry, the scent of this came across to me as slightly overwhelming. That said, it's still a whole lot milder than common brands which I find choking. 

My daughter's shirt came out clean. The yellow from the ice lollly came off ok. General stains came off ok too. Not super white. But it wasn't all that clean to begin with. To be super clean, I've got to scrub. But me not super mom. To see for yourself, see photo comparison. The blood came out generally but still stained. Not too happy about that though. 

My cloth napkins didn't come out too clean. They usually come out a whole lot cleaner. Other stuff which didn't need too much cleaning came out ok. I didn't smell BO on the clothes or anything, but the fragrance probably did away with that. 

Overall, so far I'm not wonderfully impressed. However, I AM comparing it to my normal detergent which does use enzymes which would work on all that I've mentioned. And this detergent does actually mention cleaning without the use of enzymes... (which I gathered is not that great for sensitive skins, like babies' bums for instance). But I really would prefer if they didn't add the fragrance. Kinda ironic since they also mentioned 'without the use of heavy fragrances'. Guess it depends on whose nose.

For the next wash though, I'm going to try adding baking soda and the next, hydrogen peroxide. See how it fares then. I'll update. 

I don't normally care too much for visual cleanliness, if it doesn't harm me too much, it should be ok. Just wear darker clotheslah.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Cin,
    Good job! I've spotted Earth Choice Laundry Liquid in Cold Storage but did not try it because liquids to me are always heavier to pack and transport than solids. I think I get better 'mileage' with soap powders. I use Cosway's Eco range of multipurpose cleaning solution, oxygen bleach (basically, hydrogen peroxide!), laundry detergent and fabric softener and I think they are great value for money! Such simple and easily recyclable packaging too. Will review them soon.
    Cheerio,
    E.L.

    ReplyDelete