Friday, May 22, 2009

Carbon Calculator Review - carbonfootprint

www.carbonfootprint.com

The very first carbon calculator I used. Also the first one on Google's list. Well, here it is. My first review. It'll need working on. But let's start somewhere.

My foot print is 8.68. 
Country average is 7.00 tonnes. 
Average worldwide footprint is 4.00 tonnes.
The worldwide targe to combat climate change is 2 tonnes. 

Wow.

Pros: 

1) It's got a 'save' function. Which will technically enable you to monitor your footprint. 
2) Car selection range is quite extensive. I found my little Kelisa in it. Which is a relief. 
3) Has a wide selection of 'other' fuel that maybe people other than me use. Like for boats, barbeque (coal), things like that.
4) Public transport selections are good too. Regular buses, long distance buses (coach), national rail, international rail, tram (not quite for us, but no harm I suppose), tube and even taxis. I like the taxis one. 
5) Incorporates daily lifestyle choices like food, recreation and things like that into the calculator. 
6) You can add it to your own website. 

Cons: 
 
1) Has selections  like use of wooden pellets (for heating?), that don't apply to us. But then again, if you use it, it doesn't contribute to your carbon calculations. Can actually think of that as an upside. 
2) Flight carbon calculator only has capacity for up to 5 flight itineries. Definitely not for frequent flyers. Then again, I think frequent flyers don't even dare to come close to the calculator. 
3) Doesn't mention too much about waste. It's incorporated into the lifestyle (secondary) option.
4) Incorporates daily lifestyle choices into the calculator, which I find is very vague and can really really bump up your footprint size.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think it is an accurate calculator, Cin. I can estimate your carbon footprint and it is very small even for someone in the developing world. After all, you guys work from home and do not have unnecessary electrical appliances and gadgets. Also, many of these carbon calculators work in terms of absolutes, e.g. "Are you vegetarian?" "Yes/No". It fails to take into account what meat is consumed (fish and chicken, c/f beef and pork) and the frequency.

    ReplyDelete