Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Carbon Calculator Reviews - The beginning

Recently Hubbie received an interesting phone call which made me sit up and realized that despite all my perceived efforts in reducing our impacts, I wasn't making it measurable. I felt I fell into the category of people who claimed they were concerned but were not making calculated measurements in documenting my carbon footprint. So how would I know if I'm making POSITIVE impacts?

Well, I immediately went online, clicked the first website to have a calculator. And was appalled at the size of my foot!.... print. 

However, analysing it further, I really couldn't be sure. And I'm still not sure. I was told it's just an indication, and I'm sure it is. To help us vaguely identify things we could do to reduce our carbon footprint. And I agree. 

But I also think it would be far better if we had a calculator that's more appropriate for us, in the Malaysian context. For the first one I did, was for people based in the US. And most of the others I found later were also for people in the US and Europe. And sometimes the calculators don't even work if you don't put in an American state. Hmph. I also don't use heating. In this heat, I think I'll roast. 

Anyway, I've decided to just try them out. One by one. With set parameters and test them out to see their variations and what I think of them. 

Here are my parameters based on the few that I've done so far. Will modify in terms of measurements as needed. 

Electricity usage: 

60kWh per month per person
180kWh per month in our household of three persons

Cooking gas: 
14kg ESSO tank for half year 
8.9kWh per month per person 
Based on calculations of 11.94 kWh per kg

Waste:
2 kg per week for a household of three persons

Transportation: 
Flight: 
1 long haul approx. 10550km/way per year
2 short haul approx 300km/way per year
6 train rides approx 50km each per year

Vehicle:
1 1000cc petrol car 
YOM : March 2003
Current fuel consumption: 17.75km/liter
Approx mileage per month: 1200km
For 2 adults

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment