Wednesday, June 24, 2009

shiny shiny brass door handle *Updated*

I'm  working on my brass door handle the past 2 days. Started off with the remaining bottle of Brasso that we had from eons ago. Not good at all. It didn't do a wonderful job of removing the gunk, practically fumigated me and my daughter and my husband was horrified when I tried to wash my brasso tainted hands in the sink. *guilt*

Hmm, I remembered that vinegar did the job with hubbie's belt.

So I went online, did a little research and voila. Try vinegar and
 salt.

Lots of elbow grease there, but it seems to be working. Very slowly though. They did mention, to go gently but come back again regularly. So, that's what I'll do. Here's a photo of it after brasso. I'll put up an updated photo after a few more sessions of vinegar and salt.

8/7/09: Not so shiny. Brass around key insert turning flaky green. The rest of the handle's gone all tarnished again. *sad* 

No comments:

Post a Comment