Saturday, June 20, 2009

Extremism on refusing plastic bag...

Today I did something which I am ashamed of. I want to blame it on my illness at the moment. But really, I can't. I was rude.

At the check out today buying a tong for my increasing number of compost tongs, I asked the check out guy 'no need for plastic please'. He nodded. Then he reached over and grabbed a smallish plastic bag, and wanted to cello tape it on the tong! I was 'no no no, I don't want plastic bag'. He gave me a slightly condescending look and said, 'for security'. I said no, and he again insisted. That's when I blew, I raised my voice (slightly but loud enough) and told him, 'look, no. do you realize the rest of the world is trying to REDUCE plastic usage? and you're giving me a plastic bag not even for proper usage but just on top of my bin just 'for security? NO! just stick on the receipt on top if you have to!'

All this was said in a huff.

I think Hubbie was uncomfortable with this. I asked him later what he thought and confirming that it wasn't quite what I said but how I said it, I realized, it's not fair to the guy.

I went back and apologised. Bruised my ego a little. It shouldn't. Because I could've been more polite. But I'm sure I bruised his ego earlier. I just hope that by apologising, his is slightly restored.

3 comments:

  1. But he was being a retard! How on earth could a plastic bag be a measure of security? Imbecile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe the plastic bag will "mute" the alarms systems? ;-P
    Anyway, Terra, it was no extremism. I have once been suspected by the security and stop for questioning as I was pushing out my trolley of goods without plastic bag and a large 10kg pack of dog food. He suspected I did not pay for the goods not in the hypermart's plastic bags.

    ReplyDelete
  3. how sweet, you went back and apologised! i've had my plastic bag moments at checkout counters, usually i do the old-fashioned "I would like to see the store manager, please" (sometimes, without the 'please' at the end!). but these days i no longer have to. cashiers are either getting smarter, or i'm shopping at the right places…?

    ReplyDelete