Sunday, July 19, 2009

No Tuna or Waste Food? Dilemma dilemma

Most people who knows me well would know that I don't eat tuna. Why, coz at 12, I was apalled that one of my favourite animals then, dolphins, get caught when tuna does. And usually dies before they get thrown back into the sea. So, from then on, I would consciously avoid eating tuna. 

These days I realize that tuna doesn't get it that great either. So, that's another reason. But then, so does any other living creature that gets eaten. I'm trying to reduce my animal food intake. At the same time trying to balance between ethics and nutrition. 

Okay, but when you have a piece of tuna in front of you (not by choice) and nobody's eating it. And you know it's going to end up in the bin, thus wasting food. What's a girl like me to do? Do I leave it? Do I eat it? 

I chose to not touch it. 

Until the end when we're about to leave and it was still sitting there miserably in a sea of clean plates. 

Chomped it down. :( Good or bad? Sigh... 

1 comment:

  1. Wasting food is worse. See, if you didn't buy it, you didn't contribute to increasing the demand for it. Plus, it's not as though you had asked for tuna, and someone had purchased it and served it up to you. It was served up. It would have otherwise gone to waste. Most tuna these days are certified dolphin and turtle friendly. There's a kind of opening in sardine and tuna nets that lets dolphins and turtles out. Hang on, let me ask my mum and get back to you on Sat. She saw it on Discovery.

    ReplyDelete