Saturday, July 18, 2009

Baking soda works for pans!

The 'Before' photo
And 'After' shot.


Skip the harsh cream cleansers, those awful powders, harsh steel scourers and do your pots and pans (not to mention your home and hands) a favor. 

Use BAKING SODA. 

It's something I've used for a long time now. But just recently I had an excellent specimen (two really, but I forgot to take photo) of just how easy it is to use baking soda to rid nasty stains from steel pots and pans. 

Check out the before and after picture of the pan.

Just make a thick paste of baking soda and water, apply it on the stains if stained really badly like this one. Leave overnight. Gently scrub (read : relax, no need for hard scrubbing) the next day. And voila. Ok, this particular pan took a few soaks and rubs. But the point is, YOU really don't need to do much. Just leave it there. Let the baking soda work. And the pan stays scratch free. After that, just try and maintain by using a little baking soda on your sponge sometimes when you need it when washing up. Much easier and keeps the pan shiny shiny. Not to mention less harmful to the environment and your health.

The second specimen (no photos) was on the inside of a slow cooker heater unit. It was aluminium I think and the stain had really gotten stuck for 14 years. Yes, you read that right,  14 years. Again, make a thick paste, apply, leave, and wipe. This one came off much easier than the one on the pan even. :)

And I also use it all over the home. Wash basins, bathtubs, inside of teapots, stained cups, compost bin (I put it in a little container with holes), you get the drift. Excellent stuff.

Good luck! 

Oh, for much cheaper options of baking soda, ditch going to organic shops or supermarkets, get your bags of 1kgs for under RM3/kg from baking supply shops. I get mine for just RM2.20 from Ampang's Perfect Formula.

3 comments:

  1. Great tip! I keep baking soda in my First Aid kit, in case of bee stings. Sure beats heavily packaged creams and ointments! My mum uses a non-metal kuali, so we don't need it much for scrubbing. I still keep some baking soda for general cleaning, though. Oh and I don't own a stove at my rented place. Too much hassle, with my cats everywhere. Will email you sometime this week about Green Living.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh! Bee stings too? I've got to put a pack in my bag too then!

    I was hoping to discuss with you more. Getting very nervouslah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cin, could we please shop-pool? The next time you purchase baking soda, could you please pick up 3-4 kg for me, please? Right now I am using Arm & Hammer, which is more expensive at RM4 per 454g, but it's still the best bet for me cos it doesn't have any plastic packaging AT ALL. Just a sturdy cardboard box with a tab to push in. I need LOTS, cos of my 5 indoor cats.

    ReplyDelete