Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Let's make sure the trees live!

I just thought about it recently after hubbie suggested to me on what to do with my very full tubs of compost. Originally I had planned to bring them to an organic farm that's crazy miles away. But he suggested that we take care of our back yard. Literally.

Living in an apartment means I have no where to efficiently utilise my precious compost. Whether fortunately or unfortunately, right in our back yard almost, there's a nastily turfed up piece of land that's been very recently replanted with trees. Hubbie and I have been very cross to find out that that land is actually forest reserve land, but that's another story. After all the damage that's done to it, the land is parched and the trees don't seem to be doing too well.

Today, armed with a spade, hat, and a curious 2 year old, I finally took my tub of compost out and spread it around two very scraggly trees.

Which made me think. All the exercise I hear about tree planting is all great. In fact, I've also been involved in it myself. However, I don't know about what happens to the tree after that. Really, did it survive? Did it dry out? Is it a glorious tree now? I have no idea.

Now, back to the trees right here in my 'back yard'. They weren't planted by me. But I wanna try and help them flourish.

Kills six birds with one stone. i) eliminate kitchen waste ii) get rid of compost iii) help trees grow iv) contribute to increasing comfort in my home area v) teach kid about nature vi) get a bit of good ol' exercise. Hmm, one more and I'm the like the gallant tailor. Ha, I wish.

There are at least another 20 trees more to go. Two down. Second tub ready in a week.

Nice.

2 comments:

  1. Well done, Cin! The trees are now healthier thanks to you. All those tree-planting campaigns are just feel-good projects to help people feel less guilty about their annual air travel and countless shopping trips.

    How did you turn Cerys' tongue green, by the way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agar-agar and very inadept motor skills at pouring food coloring.

    ReplyDelete