Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I've got a new part time composter!!!!

Hahahaha, seriously, what I do have is a puppy I've fostered for a few days while my parents are out of town.

Recently, my parents adopted an adorably cute little big dog. It's a great little thing. Great temperament. Cuddly. But crazy shreddy nails!

Anyway, I've taken on the responsibility of providing food for it. That is, I have been buying kibbles for the dog. So so far, my father has been feeding it kibbles. Which I thought was of good quality already (pet shop store brand).

Until he came over here and I decided I would like to keep my legs (his nails are crazy!) and brought him to Cerys' schoolmate's mom's Pet Boarding/Care shop. This place is called Pet Epicure. One of the most comfortable pet places I've been to! In fact, the most comfortable. You take your shoes off outside. And inside, her kids roam free, has a little play area even, and the boarding kennels look so much more comfortable than anything I've seen in other places.

Anyway, back to my point, Alicia, the proprietor aka Cerys' schoolmate's-mom, gave me some pointers on how to train the dog but most of all she talked with me about giving raw food to it!

I wasn't quite sure about this until she took out some for Rocky (the dog) a plate and he gobbled it up greedily! Actually I've read it before, but looking at that, it's very interesting. What more, she lent me some books on this. I flipped through it very very quickly when I got back (still very busy working to complete some work in time for the deadline) and decided to jump in. Alicia also gave me to boxes of the food she prepared.

When I went out later to run some errands, I decided to get Rocky some meaty chicken bones (raw) as recommended as the main food component (60%). I wasn't quite sure about this. But decided, well, better try it here rather than when he gets back to my parent's place.

Chopped it up.

The results are amazing. He loved it!!!

The book says more about vegetables, fruit and etc to feed dogs. It's called the BARF diet (see Barf World) It's really exciting coz this means that I have now got another potential food 'composter'. Heeee heeeee. And he'll be better off from it too!

4 comments:

  1. What fun! A puppy! Ours compost too -- bread and pizza crusts, drippy ice creams, ripe bananas, biscuits, everything. Some fussypots will tell you that human food isn't good for dogs, but duh, what did dogs eat in the wild before they became domesticated and learned to depend on kibbles? Anything they could find! They didn't just stick to one type of food! A bit of tea is good for Rocky too. But NO grapes or raisins, please! You have to be very careful when it comes to grapes, raisins, onions and lily flowers -- they could be fatal to dogs and cats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, thank goodness you mentioned the grapes. I was just thinking, hmm, I've got loads of grapes here. Should I or shouldn't I?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bananas are great, natural sugar for beautiful coat and a good source of energy. On a hot day, watermelon. I usually cut the centre for my self and leave abt 1 inch with the skin. My dog eats like a human, discarding the skin after savouring the red flesh. Raw eggs are good too, occasionally.

    ReplyDelete