Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Paste less

In line with my now soap less and pooless showers, I have recently taken one step further.

For more than a month now, I have gone paste less. As in, toothpaste.

Starting it wasn't quite intentional really. I had gone to Singapore for close to a week. And I was just trying to reduce baggage weight. The toothpaste was just too heavy compared to the amount I was going to use.

Upon getting there, I decided I was too lazy and too much of a stooge to bother getting a small tube. Not to mention getting all that packaging and an extra tube which will then lie around on my bathroom shelf taking up precious real estate taking forever to finish. Which will then cause me twice daily agonizing regret over why I didn't bring toothpaste from home anyway.

Now, over that one week, and the week after up north in Penang, (so happy as baggage weight was reduced by 200gm), I started getting into the routine of going paste less.

At first, my self consciousness was heightened, wondering if anyone notices bad breath or brown teeth. I was still brushing my teeth. In fact more so, I was flossing more regularly too. I admit, I don't always floss. Takes 2 minutes more. And I can't spare that.

But surprisingly, no one fainted while I was in the same room, although there seemed to have been a lady turning green two tables near mine - I think that had something to do with the revolting food she had in front of her. That said, no one has commented or looked uncomfortable while I spoke with them. Either I don't stink or they were extremely polite. I can't tell. I won't tell.

3 weeks into it, I admit, I didn't like the look of my teeth. I don't think I smell. I believe that the friendly bacteria in my mouth has been victorious. But, it was getting a little yellow. On top of that, my front tooth has developed grey vertical stains on them. GASP!!! Not good. Being an avid fan of teas, I drink an average of 5 to 6 cups of tannin rich tea daily. Toothbrush alone seems to not quite cut it.

So, I went to my trusty lab (aka kitchen), and scooped up some sodium bicarbonate (aka baking soda) into a little plastic bowl I swiped from an airline.

I dipped the brush in the powder and very enthusiastically brushed. Whoo hoo! Stains came off. But at a price. My gums bled and they felt sore for the next two days. Why? I'm still trying to figure this one out.

Sine then, the smells/or lack of it is still good, but the stain came back. I decided again to give the soda another try. And I'm happy to say, I found a good solution. I focused on the teeth and not the gums. And I Restrained Mu enthusiasm and brushed more gently.

Stains are gone. Mouth feels clean.

I will be monitoring this and will soon see what the dentist has got to say about this weird behavior.

But in the meantime, I'm delighted at the prospect of reduced baggage weight! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment