Thursday, July 26, 2012

I don't soap.

There, I said it.

This is my personal hygiene post.

I have not shampooed in a year and soaped in over 6 months. And the noodle is very happy to do the same.

The hair is not laden with lice, dropped off or covered with grease. I don't think I smell bad or of anything but me. Of course, when I have a super long hot sweaty day, I realize I do smell sweaty, but that happens even when I do use soap.

Going no 'poo this time isn't the first time I've tried it. Few years back, I had tried going no 'poo. And in the middle of things, I had a holiday in the UK. And the change in the humidity levels completely wrecked it. My hair felt uncomfortable and I caved in fearing what my mother in law thinks of me. But that was only in my mind for two reasons - I don't think anyone actually noticed anything wrong with my hair, and two, my mother in law is really cool and supports my conservation and slightly kooky ideas.

There are a lot written about going pooless (LOL). I seriously find that term amusing. Anyway, I figured that not only will it be good for myself, by reducing the amount of chemicals I expose myself to, I'm also reducing the stuff I buy and throw down the drain - quite literally, and bin. And with going outdoors so often as well, I find that not being encumbered by bottles of shampoos and soaps very liberating.

So, what do I do?

Some 'researchers' or journalists has actually tried out these no soaps and poos. And I find them quite biased. They actually ditch cleaning altogether! And I find this totally unfair. They end up totally bashing going soapless and pooless because they end up filthy and disgusting! Not washing is not going pooless or soapless. There's a difference.

I wash my hair with water as I do with shampoo before. I just massage my head a little more and scrub my hair a little more. Some recommends baking soda, tea, vinegar etc. I just use water. And I do this whenever I feel like it. Be it everyday when it's hot, or every other week only when I feel like I need it. But it's not always smooth sailing. In the first two weeks, my hair didn't particularly look or feel good at all. It was greasy and clumpy and very easily, I could have ended up with shampoo. But, after that, it has been pretty good.

As for soaping. I ditched it very easily. I still use my scrubbing gloves occasionally. And my skin's improved too! Deodorant was hard to ditch initially. But I think my own body flora has flourished and I find that going deodorantless is bearable too.

Showers these days have been reduced to just under a minute! LOL. During hair wash days, max 5 minutes. And I do enjoy a couple more short showers during the day especially when the day's hot.

So, friends, if after reading this, you do want to avoid me, I can understand. But do let me know if you think I DO smell. I honestly want to know! It's scientific too! ;)

Update March 2020: I still don't soap. Except washing hands all the time before food prep, after contact with anyone/anything. So, does that count? Sigh...

1 comment:

  1. I handle a lot of animals, including strays, so I don't think I would be able to give up soap and shampoo just yet for health and safety reasons. I do use soap-free shampoos and organic soap bars that I purchase during Hari Organik, though. They last a good long time if you manage your resources properly.

    ReplyDelete