Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Gasp, it's about the monthlies...

...or 'crimson tide', or about your 'best friend's come to visit' however you want to describe the menses. Disclaimer: If you're male (or maybe even a sensitive female...) and you think you're going to cringe soon. Please close the page. There are graphic images and descriptions below.

I think I've very happily reached the point that I'm open to discussing it as adult-like as possible. Especially after having a very curious child who makes sure we keep doors open at all times.

Over the years, I've been experimenting with tampons, conventional pads, tissue paper, etc. After reading multiple blogs of enlightened others, I had decided to take the plunge into the world of cloth pads. Yes, I've tried pieces of cloth before. And why not? Speaking to various people in less polluted locations, I've learnt that others are very comfortable just using old pieces of cloth for this. And yes, it works. You just need to change it often, and be wary of leaks. 

So, back to cloth pads. I finally managed to acquire the elusive PUL material. That's the same waterproof clothlike material they used for cloth nappies I used to use on the Big Noodle. I dug up the hubs old unwanted shirts and t-shirts and fashioned some reusable cloth pads! There!

My varied homemade stash from old shirt, t-shirts and towels. I've kept the photo small on purpose. 
And they worked good. Absorbent. But of course, there were grouses. Leaks sometimes happen as well. They are a little bulky compared to super slims and tampons. 

I would soak these in a little tub in the bathroom, empty out the water every evening into my potted plants (god forbid, now you know why those herbs are so fat and juicy!!!) and toss them into the wash whenever there's laundry. But they do get smelly even when the water's changed. 

However, all the negativities aside, I still love these. I noticed I don't have any/minimal period pains. I don't need to pay tons of money for tampons or fancy shmancy super slims. But I think I feel best of all that I am achieving the objective I had set when I wanted to do this in the first place. Reducing my disposables. :)

And recently, a friend has introduced me to something else. Moon Cup. *gulp*

Started it. Love the concept. Just pour out (again, into my pots!!!), wash and reinsert. No extra washing.  Liking concept so far. Not liking removal so far. Will need to talk about that more when I have more experience.

Update (Nov 2014) : It has been over two years on. I'm still using them. I now realize I prefer AIOs which I use, fold, button up and keep away. Then at the end of the day, I rinse them in the shower, and hang them to dry. When dry, I throw them in the laundry basket for the next round of washing with the rest of the clothes. And the period pains have not returned :D Best side effect!

Update (June 2016) : Still loving them. Methods used still the same as 2014. With a half cup of Vanish powder in wash load. Pains have stayed away 😊
Gave up the moon cup very very early on as it gave me a very nasty bout of UTI.

Update (March 2020): Extremely stressed out by the lockdown with 6 under one roof and me going bonkers providing for everyone. Need time away.
But, yes, those ol' pads are still surviving. A couple had retired over the years, but most of them still in pretty decent if not great shape. Method still the same from update Nov 2014.

1 comment:

  1. I bought a pair during Hari Organik and have only just started using them. So far, so good! No complaints.

    ReplyDelete